The last three days have seen me attend my very first DAA conference. As it was my first one I had no idea what to expect, I had heard all kinds of things, that it would be awesome, that it would be boring, that I wouldn't be hungry, but I still didn't really know, but as Darryl Summers used to say 'you never never know if you never never go!'
Anyway, because most of you reading this aren't dieitians, I wouldn't bore you with all the details and instead I would do a bit of a top 5 highlights/ things I learnt... Ready? Ok here we go:
1. Dietitians come in all sizes, big, small and in between. This was a very comforting reminder that the stereotype of the 'skinny blonde dietitian' was simply that... A stereotype!
2. All dieitians love chocolate! This was confirmed by the mad rush for the ferrero stand once word got out that they were giving out show bags filled with chocolatey goodness!
3. I love free things, throughout the three days I managed to get my self quite a collection of things, including chocolate, massagers, sample food products, a little chocolate grater and of course lots of pens!
4. It doesn't matter how long it's been since you have seen someone, it's always nice to catch up!
5. And on a more serious note, dietitians have a very important and unique role to play the future of this country's health and if I don't keep more up to date I will get left behind... So bring on the proactivity!
So there you go... The conference, I was really glad that I went coz I learnt a heap of stuff and I think it has inspired me to be a better dietitian... At least for the next little while anyway!
But now I am off to party at Ness' 21st... Woo hoo!